[Bucardo-general] Replicating Tables the Rely on Sequences

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Wed Oct 3 17:25:01 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 11:16 -0600, Ben Allen wrote:
> Is there a more graceful way to use sequences in a "swap" replication
> then having the sequence on the second database start at a different
> number then the first?

Yes, although in some replication systems you don't necessarily want the
sequence to be the sole unique constraint. For the example you gave, a
unique index on description might be warranted, followed by a customcode
exception to sort things out. All of this is a blog post I'm going to
make soon. As far as sequences, the general options are:

1) Set one small, one large, as you mentioned
2) Set one even and one odd (e.g. INCREMENT BY 2) [I like this one the
best]
3) Have the second database call the sequence on the first via dbilink
or similar.
4) Improve Bucardo to handle things like this by changing the sequences
on the fly :)

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
End Point Corporation 610-983-9073