[Bucardo-general] Adding new node to replication

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Mon Jul 7 13:22:18 UTC 2008

> I have a star replication working without problems.
>
> Now, I need to add a new node, how do I load current data into it?
>
> if I do a pg_dump pg_restore, will I loose the information between the
> time from dump and time to restore? this is for telecommunications
> system and information is added all the time to DB.

Information will not be purged from the bucardo_delta table until all the
targets are replicated to. So once the new node is added to
bucardo_delta_targets, the data from that point forward is guaranteed to
be copied to the new node. The best way to do all this may be something
like this:

1) Add the new node to the db table
2) Manually add the row to the bucardo_delta_targets table.
3) Do a pg_dump/pg_restore, or make a one-time fullcopy sync.
4) Add the new targetdb to the sync in question and restart Bucardo.

It's okay to have some gaps between #2 and #3, as we only store the
primary keys, not the data itself (assuming this is a pushdelta sync).

In the future, we'll have something more automatic like Slony does to
bring a new slave "up to speed" gracefully.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com