[Bucardo-general] error running tests on Debian lenny

Dafydd Walters dafydd at walters-home.net
Tue Sep 23 17:07:02 UTC 2008

Khusro Jaleel wrote:
> Thanks for your response, I found out that I had to install
> Test::Dynamic from CPAN, NOT the one that came with the Bucardo
> distribution to get this to work. I also install DBIx::Safe from CPAN.
>
> Even after that, about 728 tests run, but in the end it says that 700
> of them failed. This is incorrect. If you add the VERBOSE option, you
> will see that all the tests pass, for some reason the summary says
> that they failed.
>
> I'm not sure I want to use Bucardo at the moment, how are you finding
> it in terms of reliability. Does it require a lot of maintenance and
> conflict resolution? I'm thinking that maintaining a master-master
> might be a lot of work. What is your experience so far?

Thanks for the info. I'm finding Bucardo to be reliable once properly
set up.

I had designed my application with multi-master replication in mind from
the outset, so conflict resolution is a non-issue for me. In my
particular application, the only possible conflicts are unique key
constraint violations (the primary keys will never conflict because they
use sequences which increment by 2 each time and start and 1 and 2 for
the two servers), but, but conflicts do happen the resolution in my
application is simply to not try to insert the row in question.

I'm pleased with the way Bucardo works so far. However, up to now, my
application has not been subjected to the true workload of hundreds of
simultaneous clients connecting to either one of the masters, so I can't
yet say how well it works under a lot of stress.