[Bucardo-general] Question about NON-UNIX systems support.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Wed Apr 22 14:47:11 UTC 2009

> I would like to know, what parts of Bucardo could be a problem for using
> Bucardo on a NON-UNIX system?
> Which part of the code I should look like and eventually change if I
> want to make a windows port?
> Also, has someone tested Bucardo on Mac OS? Does it works?

I don't know about OS X, but it has been tested on some flavors of BSD.

As far as Windows, the immediate problem parts I can think of are setsid() in
bucardo_ctl, the forking in Bucardo.pm, being careful about the paths, and the
kill calls (including the kill 0). Some of which may actually work on Windows
these days, I honestly don't know, as I rarely venture into Win32 land.

All the Perl modules will need to work, of course, but strawberry perl should
make that a lot easier. Sys::Syslog could be problematic.

Keep in mind that all of this is only for running *the Bucardo daemon itself*.
Bucardo could happily live on a small Linux box and replicate things between any
number of Windows boxes (or even a mixture of Windows and Unix)

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com