[Bucardo-general] Failed on make test on Bucardo 3.1.0 and a question about timeofday() usage

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Wed Feb 11 22:42:12 UTC 2009

> At last, Bucardo managed to sync after all occurences of:
> timeofday()::timestamp is changed to current_timestamp
> timeofday()::timestamptz is changed to current_timestamp::timestamptz

Good catch, I'll make those changes.

> Why using timeofday() ?  As per-postgresql doc, timeofday() returns
> text. Why not use now(), or current_timestamp, or
> statement_timestamp() since all these funcs already returns timestamp
> or timestamptz ?

We want the exact current time, not the time the transaction started,
which is what now() and current_timestamp() give you.
statement_timestamp gives the time of the current statement, which is a
little closer, but still not quite what we want.

> I would like to test latest bucardo with as similar as to your
> environments (postgresql version, perl version, postgresql.conf) . How
> could I do that ?

Just keep pulling from git and make sure you are on the bucardo-commits
mailing list so you see new changes. There is a lot going on right now;
I'm about to commit a chunk to completely remove sync.disable_trigger,
for example. I generally develop with Perl 5.8, Postgres 8.3, and use
the postgresql.conf generated by the test scripts. As Josh pointed out,
the tests are known to not all work, but we're working on cleaning them
all up to a better state again.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com