[Bucardo-general] Installing Bucardo on CestOS 5.5 Postgres version 8.1.11

Joshua Tolley josh at endpoint.com
Fri Jul 3 20:46:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 02:38:21PM -0600, Joshua Tolley wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 12:22:58PM -0600, Benjamin S. Allen wrote:
> > 8.2 or newer otherwise Bucardo isn't going to run to well. I'm not sure if
> > the latest releases of Bucardo (pulled from Git) still works on 8.1 Greg
> > or Josh will have to correct me on that one.
>
> When I tried running the newest version's tests against 8.1, it hung
> regularly. Initial investigation suggests, though, that it's because the
> logging settings used when configuring test databases aren't correct for 8.1.
> On some less holiday-ish day, I'll see about fixing that in the test suite, so
> we can at least provide ourselves some evidence that 8.1 still works. Now that
> I think about it, the tests probably also fail on 8.2 for the same reason,
> though I'm not sure.

Update: I realized a quick test would take only 5 minutes, and took the time
to try it out. Having hardcoded a local version of the test framework with
logging options suitable for 8.1, I ran the tests again and found bucardo_ctl
breaking regularly because of a query with "RETURNING" in it. A different set
of problems scuttled the tests when run against PostgreSQL 8.2. Although this
isn't proof Bucardo won't work with those versions, it certainly isn't
reassuring. I'll take a look at this when I get a chance, to make sure Bucardo
runs nicely with older versions, and that it can be easily verified against
them.

--
Josh Tolley  josh at endpoint.com  801-485-0203