[Bucardo-general] replicating tables

Joshua Tolley josh at endpoint.com
Tue Jun 30 13:40:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 01:37:26PM +0530, Sweta Mulgavker wrote:
>    I have a master to master configuration which I am replicating (actually I
>    want to) using Bucardo.
>
>    I was filling entries in the bucardo.goat table. Certain tables in my db
>    do not have a primary key
>    Actually they are tables in which data is entered using triggers. These
>    tables do not have a primary key. Also  they are not indexed on any
>    column.
>    What entries should I put  for the "pkey , pkeytype" columns in the
>    bucardo.goat table?

You can't replicate tables without a primary key. Bucardo requires a primary
key to track what changed in each table. You need to add a primary key to
those tables you're trying to replicate, or it won't work at all.

It's probably best if you get Bucardo from git, rather than the last release
on the web site. That release is quite old, and the newer versions are much
easier to use. We've been working hard to get a release ready, but there are a
few more features and tests we'd like to put in first.

If you use a reasonably recent version of Bucardo you shouldn't have to put
anything in those fields, as long as your tables actually have primary keys --
leave them blank and Bucardo will fill them in for you. Better still, use
bucardo_ctl to add the tables, and don't touch the goat table directly at all.

--
Josh Tolley  josh at endpoint.com  801-485-0203