[Bucardo-general] 10 millions inserts&updates/day?

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Mon Mar 9 15:29:36 UTC 2009

Hi all.

I've been on vacation but am back now, so I should be able to respond to some of
the recent emails. I've also been doing a lot of thinking and redesigning of
Bucardo, particularly in the performance of the swap and pushdelta syncs.
Hopefully, I'll commit some of things I have soon. Stay tuned.

> I have a database with 10.000.000 Inserts/Day (9.000.000 in just one
> table) and the same number of updates, one for each row. (again,
> 9.000.000 in just one table). No deletes. The rows are small, the
> database grows about 3 GB/day. The updates will set just one timestamp
> field.

> So...anyone knows if Bucardo is for me?? I´m having troubles to find
> information about performance.

That's a lot of data all right. What is the conflict strategy? In other words,
which server "wins" if the timestamp is updated on the same row on both sides.
If that is not possible, or if one side always wins, I've been working on some
optimizations to help speed things up quite a bit. I don't know that anyone will
have any performance numbers - each case is very specific. If you have a test
system, the best way of course it to test it out yourself. As I mentioned at the
top, I've got some upcoming changes that should make things go faster, but it
might be nice to get a benchmark on the current code.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com