[Bucardo-general] Bucardo, GitHub

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Mon May 4 17:34:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, 4 May 2009, Ben Allen wrote:

> I was wondering if you had considered moving Bucardo onto GitHub.com.
> They recently have added a basic bug tracker,
> http://github.com/blog/411-github-issue-tracker , so that would be a
> quick fix for issue tracking on the project. Plus for me it would make
> it super easy to submit patches, as I could simply fork the repo and
> send you pull requests through their web interface.

Good suggestion, Ben. My name isn't Greg, but I'll weigh in anyway. :

It's pretty easy to maintain a mirror on GitHub. I've set up a hook in a
Git repo to automatically push to GitHub every time a repo is pushed to,
and we could do that with Bucardo too easily enough. You're right that
using GitHub at least somewhere in the scheme of things makes it a lot
easier for anyone to contribute patches and for committers to pull them in
without emailing them around.

Greg, if you want my help setting up that mirroring to GitHub, I'd be glad
to. Or maybe it makes sense to just move the central repo to GitHub
completely. As long as someone is doing a git clone --mirror to a backup
location, it doesn't much matter if GitHub goes down or disappears
entirely, since you can just set up a new central repo.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation