[Bucardo-general] Little zombie problem

Selena Deckelmann selena at endpoint.com
Tue Nov 10 22:52:13 UTC 2009

Jon Jensen wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>
>> The problem with the zombie is that it prevents future pushdeltas from
>> being successful, because the 'kill -0' check succeeds.
>>
>> This may be a problem specific to my platform/version of perl (Mac OS X
>> 10.5.8/perl 5.8.8). I have the latest versions of perl modules
>> installed, and my tests pass.
>
> That could indeed be a Mac OS X-specific problem. Have you had a chance to
> try it on Linux?

No, but I will.

>> If I change $SIG{CHLD} from 'IGNORE' to a handler on an earlier version
>> (not the current HEAD), I seem to be able to get rid of the zombie. This
>> is a bit ham-fisted, however.  My diff for Bucardo.pm against HEAD is
>> attached.
>
> That diff seems to include a whole lot more than just the signal handler
> change. Is the rest of that relevant?

It's not clear to me whether it is relevant or not. In one test case, it seemed relevant. But then I
cleaned everything out, tried again, and still got the zombie with the very latest version of Bucardo.

Greg tested it (on Linux) and didn't have the same problem. :/

Maybe I'll upgrade my perl next week and see if that "fixes" the problem. Thanks for looking!

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
End Point Corporation