[Bucardo-general] Upgrading Bucardo 3.9 to Bucardo 4.2.0

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Mon Oct 5 20:57:41 UTC 2009

> I just successfully upgraded my Bucardo 3.9 to Bucardo 4.2.0 on
> Linux machine and want to share my experience.

Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully the next upgrade will go even smoother.

> 1. You have to have root privileges. I tried to do upgrading under
> bucardo privileges and failed when make install tried to install perl
> modules into the perl directory

Yes, this is the reason for the 'sudo' in the upgrade example. We'll
make that text clearer.

> . 2.  By default the bucardo administrative files are installed into
>  the /usr/bucardo directory.

That's very unusual. The 'perl Makefile.PL' should be choosing a
directory for you: on most systems, this should be /usr/local/bin/ (for
the bucardo_ctl program anyway). Can you mail me the output of make
install if you still have it?

> 3.  bucardo_ctl upgrade failed. To make it working I had to manually
>  modify the bucardo_schema as following: a. Create a sequence
> audit_pid_id_seq; b. Create a table upgrade_log and c. Create a
> function populate_child_q_table().

I'll check into these problems.

> The upgrading procedure on the previous steps create the field, but
> left it empty. This field cannot be filled in manually. The solution,
> that I found was to execute a statement "update goat set pkey=pkey;".
> The field qpkey in all rows was filled automatically.

There is no easy way around this yet - you discovered one way to do it.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com