[Bucardo-general] Bucardo -- adding tables -- error

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Fri Oct 23 16:11:24 UTC 2009

> Thanks Greg. I set up the passwords in the db table and I have re done the
> entire work from scratch and it is working now. Appreciate your help.
>
> But is there way that we can avoid hardcoding the passwords in db table?
> Please advice

Yes: use a .pgpass file. It should not be world-readable, and appears in
the home directory of the user in question (probably Postgres in this
case). The contents are simply port:host:dbname:dbuser:pass. You can use
a * to indicate "any". So you might have something like this:

*:foobar:*:bucardo:mycoolpass

Which says that the bucardo user connecting to any database on the hostg
foobar, any port, should use the password 'mycoolpass'

The PostgreSQL docs should have more on the subject.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com