[Bucardo-general] Basic Questions

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Fri Sep 18 18:07:07 UTC 2009

> I installed bucardo on a CentOS 5.2 machine that has PostgreSQL 8.4
> already installed on it. If I stop postgresql service bucardo does not
> run.
>
> Does it mean that I have to preinstall postgresql server before
> installing bucardo? Is that a requirement?

Yes. You will need a Postgres database to store Bucardo's internal
information, and of course one or more additional database that will be
involved in the additional replication. When you do the initial

bucardo_ctl install

it will prompt you for the location of a database to install Bucardo on.
Note that this can be on a remote host, but it's generally easier to
keep the program and database together.

> Also, when I need to transfer my bucardo service to another machine
> how do I uninstall bucardo from a machine?

Someday soon, 'yum remove bucardo' :)

For now, you can do a 'make uninstall' from the Bucardo installation
directory. It will show you a list of files to be removed. You can
remove the Bucardo database itself with a DROP DATABASE bucardo;

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com