[Bucardo-general] Updating to 4.0.0

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Wed Sep 30 14:56:01 UTC 2009

> I have Bucardo version 3.9 installed on two Linux machines with master to
> master replication. It works fine.
> I have two questions.
> 1. Should I upgrade it to 4.0.0? What are benefits of upgrading?

Yes. Version 4 introduced some major changes, both in speed and
stability. However, many of the changes were in support of the pushdelta
methods, so if all your syncs are of the type 'swap', then the urgency
of upgrading is not quite as strong. You can see all the changes since
your current version here:

http://bucardo.org/wiki/Bucardo/Changes

> 2. How can I witch to 4.0.0 while preserving all my settings. Is there
> upgrading, rather then installation from scratch, instruction?

Bucardo has a built in upgrade process that will preserve all your
settings. However, because the version you are using is along way from
the current version (4.2.0), I would definitely test it out on a
non-production box. Making a backup of the Bucardo database would be
prudent as well.

The upgrade process is fairly simple and is detailed here:

http://bucardo.org/wiki/Bucardo/Upgrade

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com