[Bucardo-general] Bucardo design question

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Wed Aug 4 11:27:05 UTC 2010

> I'm really running into problems getting this to catch up - the time to
> gather the data for the sync is increasing to unworkable levels.  The
> problems are not due to Bucardo but my knowledge about the cleanup crons
> , and a couple of hardware issues.  These have been solved and I need
> for this to catchup really quick.  Can you explain (very quickly) how
> Bucardo knows about transactions....

How big are the tables? At some point it becomes easier to simply
do a onetimecopy (unless this is a swap sync)

> Specifically I have writers in my app that will 'BEGIN' then insert or
> update several tables before 'COMMIT'ing...  Does Bucardo see the update
> of all the tables as a single transaction?

Yes.

> Does Bucardo know about the foreign keys so that it only inserts rows in
> the correct order?

As long as all the tables linked by foreign keys are in the same sync, there
is no problem and no need to worry about the correct order.

> How does Bucardo choose what to sync from each table, point in time (ie
> now) or to the last transaction?

Neither: it simply gathers a list of all rows that have changed since the
last time it synced, and applied those. The time and the transaction do
not enter into it.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com