[Bucardo-general] please help with this.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Mon Feb 1 15:35:17 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:54:35PM -0800, Adam Wendt wrote:
> I haven't looked at the Bucardo code in a while but I think it would
> be possible to support this better but would probably require quite a
> bit of work.
>
> As I explained in my previous email there is no way to safely
> replicate only part of what needs replicating at a time if you want to
> guarantee that no one can ever see the database in an inconsistent
> state.

Adam is correct, this is the the most important point. You cannot
replicate "some" of the changes - it's all or nothing. This is because
only all the changes will ensure that the database is in a consistent
state, e.g. as it was at a certain point in time. It is theoretically
possible to batch the changes by date (bucardo_delta.txntime) but I would
think there are other solutions to try first that don't involve changing
the source code.

In the case given, can you run the sync more often? Perhaps you could have
a before sync custom code that tries to pre-emptively fix things?

> > Feb 1 19:22:38 console Bucardo[16368]: KID Exception caught: DBD::Pg::db
> > pg_putcopyend failed: ERROR: duplicate key value violates unique constraint
> > "tblmailaddresslist_emailaddress_key"\nCONTEXT: COPY tblmailaddresslist,

Hmm...what version of Bucardo is this? Unique constraints are no longer a problem
with pushdelta syncs; I wonder if we can somehow extend that logic to swap
syncs as well....

Can you elaborate more on the sequence of events causing the conflicts, and
how your exception handler solves it? Maybe we can figure out a different
way to do things.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com