[Bucardo-general] overlapping master/slave replication, and rules on the slave

Nick Farrell nicholas.farrell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 06:21:11 UTC 2010

I've looked over the Bucardo documentation, and am not sure whether a
particular configuration is supported. What would happen if I ran
multiple instances of Bucardo, each one replicating a different remote
database to a single central database?

The scenario involves a layout where I know that each record in a table
is 'owned' by one of the remote databases, but I'd like the changes
replicated centrally.

As only the slave is overlapping, I'm hoping there's no namespace
collision, and the record-level updates will interleave smoothly. While
I'm happy to go ahead and just try this out, I thought it worth finding
out whether it was theoretically possible first.

And my second question:
How are rules treated? I see that indexes are not propogated across -
what happens with rules? I assume they are not copied across, and if
COPY is being used to update the tables, I believe the rules will not be
invoked. Am I correct?

Thanks for your help.