[Bucardo-general] UPDATE's from JDBC connection on '_right' reverting 50% of the time

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Sun Oct 31 13:53:31 UTC 2010

Hi everybody,

Well, this seems to be an odd one - I've got more debugging to do, but
thought perhaps somebody might have seen it before.

We have a multi-master (swap) _left _right setup.  From psql, INSERT,
DELETE, and UPDATE work in both directions, reliably.

 From a tomcat app, using JDBC, all work reliably against _left, where
the bucardo process is running, and INSERT and DELETE work reliably
against _right.

What we're seeing is when an UPDATE is written to _right, we see the
data land in _right, and then about half the time, it replicates to
_left, half the time, _right reverts to the _left value within a second
or to (our typical replication latency).

I'm not seeing any specific error conditions reported in the log, it
shows UPDATE events being processed.

I'm going to schedule some time to run with query logging turned on,
maybe try wrapping the UPDATE's in a TRANSACTION to see what happens,
but since this is so odd, I thought perhaps it might ring a bell with
somebody.  I don't understand the plumbing sufficiently to know what
could cause

Sync definition below.

Thanks,
-Bill

-[ RECORD 1 ]------+------------------------------
name               | database_left
source             | database_herd
targetdb           | database_right
targetgroup        |
synctype           | swap
stayalive          | t
kidsalive          | t
usecustomselect    | f
copytype           | copy
copyextra          |
deletemethod       | delete
limitdbs           | 0
ping               | t
do_listen          | f
checktime          | 00:10:00
status             | active
makedelta          | f
rebuild_index      | 0
priority           | 0
txnmode            | SERIALIZABLE
analyze_after_copy | t
strict_checking    | t
overdue            | 00:00:00
expired            | 00:00:00
track_rates        | f
onetimecopy        | 0
lifetime           |
maxkicks           | 0
cdate              | 2010-09-30 19:35:03.311181-04

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle