[Bucardo-general] throttle bucardo bandwidth?

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Wed Aug 17 20:56:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 11:12:31AM -0400, Jonathan Brinkman wrote:
> Greetings
> I'm using Ubuntu 10.04LTS and Postgresql 8.4.8
>
> I have a couple databases that sync using bucardo 4.4.6
>
> One of the syncs involves tables with around 30,000 rows. When bucardo needs
> to completely refresh that table pair, it seems to consume all available
> bandwidth between the two servers. This interferes with other legitimate
> users of the bandwidth (like me using SSH to monitor it). It also seems to
> confuse our VPN software (Neorouter) into thinking the link is down, since
> the VPN IP stops pinging after a while of hard-core bucardo updating.
>
> Is there a way to throttle the bandwidth that bucardo consumes?

Not really. It's basically just running SQL statements on one end or
the other. It also tends to do everything in bulk, so even sprinkling
some sleeps in the code might not be that helpful.

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but b5 will be
faster and thus may solve the problem indirectly.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com