[Bucardo-general] Dual Master Slaves

Sam Nelson samn at consistentstate.com
Fri Aug 19 15:00:28 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 3:29 AM, Michelle Sullivan <michelle at sorbs.net>wrote:

> Sam Nelson wrote:
> > I'm sure this must have been asked before, but I can't find it
> > anywhere and we've been trying a multitude of possibilities, running
> > into brick walls with each one.
> >
> > Basically, we are attempting to make a bucardo instance of two masters
> > (swap sync), each with slaves dangling off of it.  We expected that
> > the slaves dangling from the master that is NOT changed wouldn't have
> > their sync operations triggered, but were hoping that bucardo_ctl kick
> > syncname would force a sync event in spite of not having been triggered.
> >
> > So we were wondering, short of constantly setting onetimecopy=1 and
> > forcing a re-sync, is there a way to run slaves that are capable of
> > failing over to the other master off of the dual bucardo masters?  It
> > doesn't even have to be bucardo slaves - Slony would work too.  Or hot
> > standby, but I have a feeling hot standby would be opposed to failing
> > over to another master.
>
> I seem to be unable to parse what you're actually asking here...  That
> said, it's simple to have 2 masters and multiple slaves hanging off
> them.  Just ensure you have 'make_delta=1' (if I remember the option
> correctly) on so that the changes from the "other" master is replicated
> to the slave attached.You can either have "triggered" sync or timed sync
> at that point.
>
> Michelle
>

> --
> Michelle Sullivan
> http://www.mhix.org/

That's actually exactly what I was asking - whenever we had slaves off of
two masters, the slaves off of the master not directly updated would never
get changes.

e.g. I have master1 and master2, with a swap sync between them.  I set up
two slaves, slave1 and slave2 with pushdelta syncs, such that master1 syncs
to slave1, and master2 syncs to slave2.  When I would run
inserts/updates/deletes on master1, the changes would only be pushed to
slave1 and master2, but not slave2.

It looks like I just needed to set make_delta=1.  Thanks!
---
Samuel Nelson
Consistent State
www.consistentstate.com