[Bucardo-general] any way to sync two master without purge one?

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Sun Dec 11 12:20:43 UTC 2011

> even in bucardo 5, I guess there is always the needs that start sync
> without empty one of them.  another project called "rubyrep" which
> support this way, but it compare the records one by one which cause it
> is very slow while network quality is bad.
>
> is there any change that bucardo could have this feature? to start
> sync two master database without clear one of them first?  thanks!

Bucardo already works like this - it never does a "fullcopy"
(aka onetimecopy) unless you specifically ask for it. So for a
two master system you could either:

1) Create the sync, with A as source and B as target
2) Set onetimecopy=1 and let it run once (does a fullcopy to B)
3) Change B to source, then restart the sync

or:

1) Create the sync with A and B as sources
2a) Drop the delta/kick triggers from the B tables
2b) or use set session_replication_role = 'replica'
3) Copy the data from A to B

or just:

1) Get A and B in sync, while ensuring no applications
are updating either one
2) Create a sync with A and B as sources
3) Start it up
4) Allow the app back in

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com