[Bucardo-general] Swap replication latency

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri May 6 01:27:28 UTC 2011

I've troubleshot this some more on our side by process of elimination of
synced tables, and what I found is that the sync time trends back toward
a normal 5-6 sec when all tables that are modified at a high volume are
excluded.

As a test, I added one of the high-volume tables, which was doing
roughly ~2000 UPDATEs every 10 minutes, and maybe 300 INSERTs during the
same time frame.  Bucardo fell way behind to a 11+ minute sync run time,
and the delta table started blowing up.

These statements do not take any appreciably long time to run.  Yeah,
they're not the fastest thing ever, but the point is that both database
servers can easily handle the load.  So the bottleneck really is
Bucardo, not the target database server;  the hardware is identical, and
the target server's load average constantly hangs around ~0.01, and the
source database server isn't exactly breaking a sweat either.  We have
Postgres set to log queries over 15 ms and are getting hardly any
complaints.

Thus, I can only come to the conclusion that Bucardo is not spinning
nearly hard enough.

So the question is, what--if any--parameters can I tweak to make
Bucardo's transactional throughput faster?  Preferably several times
faster.  Is it even possible, or is this basically a low-speed
replication system and there is not much that can be done here?

Thanks,

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC