[Bucardo-general] Bucardo 5 and dbgroups

Wim Lewis wiml at omnigroup.com
Thu Nov 3 23:41:26 UTC 2011

I've been trying out 4.99.x (git head) and I don't quite understand how dbgroups fit into the picture in 5.

In 4 (as I understand it from the docs and wiki), each sync has a source herd and some number of target databases (possibly specified using a dbgroup). Goats all refer to individual dbs, but a herd is constrained to only contain goats from one db, so as a result a sync has a single source db. This makes sense to me.

In 5, though, a sync has a dbgroup, and each db in the group has a role associated with it, source or target; and so a sync can have multiple sources. Good enough so far, but a sync still has exactly one herd and that herd only has goats from one db, so how does this work? Is the goat's db attribute no longer meaningful? Apologies if I'm missing something obvious here.