[Bucardo-general] Initial population of collections from large PostgreSQL tables

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Sun Apr 29 03:41:46 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 02:39:48PM +0100, Ali Asad Lotia wrote:
> The error reported in the mongo log is:
> Fri Apr 27 12:28:26 [conn128] recv(): message len 187968085 is too
> large187968085
>
> >From my understanding, the amount of data we are sending to mongo in the
> query generated by the sync is too large for MongoDB to handle. If my
> understanding is correct, is there a way to get the sync to divide the sync
> up into multiple queries to mongo that don't overflow the maximum defined
> message length?

Yes. I would guess that the first problem is the mass delete we send to the
MongoDB server. I've divided that up in the latest git push: see commit
c63593358674ef5227565a9a79ac51ca84081451

If it still fails, you may want to set statement_chunk_size lower. If
it *still* fails, see if you can figure out about where in Bucardo.pm it
is failing by looking at the last lines in the bucardo.log file
before it blows up.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com