[Bucardo-general] Automatic Cascading Replication

David E. Wheeler david at justatheory.com
Wed Dec 19 04:39:21 UTC 2012

On Dec 18, 2012, at 6:51 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg at endpoint.com> wrote:

>> ...“frobisher,” that needs access to the "customers" table.
>> Ideally, I would not change the existing MM config between
>> the two databases, but just add a new sync that just syncs
>> "customers" with both the main databases as sources and
>> “frobisher” as a read-only target: `A:source B:source frobisher:target`.
>
> Is customers is already a part of the other A:B MM sync, why not
> just have the new sync be: "A:source forbisher:target"
>
> Then do: bucardo update table customers makedelta=A

Because if A goes down, frobishers won’t be updated until it comes back up. I want frobishers to always be as up-to-date as whatever is currently running in the MM “cluster.”

>> We discussed on #bucardo having triggers exit if session_replication_role
>> is set to "local", and to set it to that for bulk inserts.
>
> Yeah, but that still means firing that trigger for every single row
> on the bulk insert. Not so bulky anymore. :)

I don’t know what the actual overhead on that is, do you? I mean, compared to the I/O required when a COPY happens, is it significant?

Best,