[Bucardo-general] b5: delta_ rows not being deleted

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Mon Dec 24 05:53:18 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 08, 2012 at 12:08:32AM -0500, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> b5 replication is working well, but looking at my system graphs I
> see the database is growing fairly linearly.  Long story short,
> bucardo_purge_delta doesn't seem to do anything because there's a
> matching txntime table still in the delta_ table.  So, both delta_
> and track_ continue to grow.
>
> b5 is running vac as expected, just nothing's being cleaned up.  I
> didn't see in the .pm where the delta_ delete is supposed to run.
> Maybe somebody can clue me in on where that happens.

I did some quick testing, and things appear to be working as expected.
Are you sure you have the right number of entries in the
bucardo_delta_targets table? That's usually the cause of
bucardo_purge_delta not working as expected. Each table should
have one entry in that table, per sync that is using it. The number
must match the number of entries in the track table before any
deletion will occur.

Not sure off the top of my head why we store sync and not dbgroup
in the bucardo_delta_targets table, but it is late and my head is
fuzzy. Can someone on this list (David?) look over that concept
and see if it sane? It seems to me we use dbgroup in the track table
so that multiple syncs can post to the same dbgroup as needed (and
thus not replicate things more than once), but shouldn't we also
in that case assign the dbgroup name, not the sync name, inside
bucardo_delta_targets? Otherwise we may end up with the OPs case
in which the VAC daemon fires but does nothing, as two syncs with
the same dbgroup will only ever create a single txntime track/stage
match, but will always have two _targets entries.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com