[Bucardo-general] More Noob Questions

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Thu Oct 4 03:29:48 UTC 2012

> Wait, I’m confused. You can set standard_conflict to a list of databases?
> http://bucardo.org/wiki/Swap says that the values are:

All of that is bucardo4. There is no more 'swap' sync types in bucardo5 -
simply a list of databases. More than one source and you have the rough
equivalent of the old "swap" sync. I made a quick template for the wiki
to mark pages as 'bucardo 5 only'. We should probably make an equivalent
on for things that are deprecated or majorly changed, such as swap syncs.

> And which of these is the default if the value is ''?

Right now, a blank means to generate a list of databases in the order
they are in the bucardo.db table.

> The other main way is to set standard_conflict
> to 'bucardo_latest'. In this mode, the last database to make any
> changes to any of the tables in the sync is the winner.
>
> I think that’s probably what we’ll go with, seems like a reasonable
> default to me (it’s what I would expect). Although is it “latest” or
> “bucardo_latest”?

It's bucardo_latest, to emphasize this is an internal, built-in choice,
and not simply a database named 'latest'. :)

> Er, could it perhaps be called something else? `standard_conflict`
> is a bit of an odd name: I’m not specifying a conflict, but a conflict
> resolution handler. Maybe `conflict_handler`?

I agree the name is not great, but conflict_handler is not good either:
we already have that, as the name of a block of code that gets executed
via customcode to handle the conflict. So perhaps conflict_method or
conflict_handling_method or somesuch? <waves hands around>

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com