[Bucardo-general] Test Failures: Serialized Isolation

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Sat Oct 20 02:06:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 05:34:26PM -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> ERROR:  could not serialize access due to read/write dependencies
> * Is there somewhere that Bucardo switches to serialized isolation?
> * If so, is the isolation retry ignored during tests?
> * Or maybe `bucardo kick` does not wait for the sleep period before the retry?

Ah yes, seen those as well during t/20-postgres.t testing. Annoying. I suspect
that we are simply doing something out of order in the tests, as in an
ideal testing environment we should not see these as we have complete
control over everything happening. Yes, we switch to serializable inside
of Bucardo.pm: grep for ISO. Good question about the tests - I think we
probably need deeper hooks so the test can tell a failed serialization
from some other error and allow the test suite to wait for the sync to
try again (which is should be doing). However, I suspect that the test
syncs are *not* retrying precisely because they are run-on-external-kick
only tests. But such a sync probably should be retrying on serialization
errors - or at least that should be an option.

Anyway, too tired at the end of a long week to dig in deeper, but hope
the above helps. I should have more time next week.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com