[Bucardo-general] Test Failures: Serialized Isolation

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Wed Oct 24 16:03:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> Because a serialization error is a known (and frankly expected) event on
> busy systems, we should treat that as very different from all other
> errors that a KID may encounter. Specifically, we need to try again,
> without reporting a serious problem back to the client via
> listen/notify.
>
> We should continue the sleep setting to be sure, but should it give up
> after X tries? Slowly increment the sleep over time? I'm strongly
> inclined to do neither of those, but thought I should throw it out
> there.

I think the default should be to retry indefinitely as we've always done.
Perhaps it seems foolish after an hour of trying and failing, but having
Bucardo keep retrying means that as soon as a DBA settles down the
external factors causing the serialization error, it can catch up.

And serialization errors just seem to get harder to recover from over
time, not easier, so stopping the attempt seems to dig a deeper hole.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation