[Bucardo-general] swap mode bootstrap case

Mitchell Perilstein Mitchell.Perilstein at trueposition.com
Wed Feb 27 20:53:48 UTC 2013

Good day,

We're getting comfortable with 4.99.6 (git)* and Postgres in our
high-availability master-master application.  We have an edge case to
handle which I would like to bounce some ideas off you guys.   If we
have swap sync established, cruising along, and the peer goes away, then
Bucardo does a great job spooling up changes until the peer comes back,
and then it pushes them across.  Perfect.  No question here.

The question case starts with a bunch of data on Box1, but Box2 is blank
and I'm installing afresh.  I would like to ultimately establish a swap
sync and get caught up.  I can do *bucardo install* on both sides, but I
can't do *bucardo add sync* until Box2 is up and installed, meanwhile
I'm still making new inserts on Box1_.__
__
__Idea 1._  Can we start with approx: *bucardo **add sync onetimecopy=2*
to get caught up, then do *bucardo update sync *to turn it off and
switch to regular swap sync mode.
     * If we do that, how will we tell when it's done copying?  Do a
bunch of queries and count rows, etc?

_Idea 2._ Alternatively, is there a way to start accumulating deltas but
don't provide anywhere to send them until later, then add and activate a
sync to drain them to the new peer?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended only for the recipients named above. It may contain confidential or privileged information and should not be read, copied or otherwise used by any other person. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender of that fact and delete the e-mail from your system.