[Bucardo-general] bucardo fails to replicate when the column name contains german umlauts

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Tue Sep 3 07:15:47 UTC 2013

Answering because I'm in the same timezone as Christian, and Greg is in
the USA...

Well if I'm reading this right (and thank goodness you posted the actual
log rather than the cut/paste):

Christian Ritter wrote:

> i patched Bucardo.pm and here is the output:
>
> $BUCARDO1 = {
>   '1' => {
>     'BUCARDO_ACTION' => 1,
>     'BUCARDO_ID' => '1',
>     "pr\x{fc}fsumme" => 'foobar',
>     'id' => 1,
>     'host_ip' => '192.168.1.1'
>   },
>   '2' => {
>     'BUCARDO_ACTION' => 1,
>     'BUCARDO_ID' => '2',
>     "pr\x{fc}fsumme" => 'foobar',
>     'id' => 2,
>     'host_ip' => '192.168.1.2'
>   }
> };
> $BUCARDO1 = [
>   'host_ip',
>   'prüfsumme'
> ];
> $BUCARDO1 = [
>   '192.168.1.1',
>   undef
> ];

The actual log:

$BUCARDO1 = {
  '1' => {
    'BUCARDO_ACTION' => 1,
    'BUCARDO_ID' => '1',
    "pr\x{fc}fsumme" => 'foobar',
    'id' => 1,
    'host_ip' => '192.168.1.1'
  },
  '3' => {
    'BUCARDO_ACTION' => 1,
    'BUCARDO_ID' => '3',
    "pr\x{fc}fsumme" => 'foobar',
    'id' => 3,
    'host_ip' => '192.168.1.3'
  },
  '2' => {
    'BUCARDO_ACTION' => 1,
    'BUCARDO_ID' => '2',
    "pr\x{fc}fsumme" => 'foobar',
    'id' => 2,
    'host_ip' => '192.168.1.2'
  }
};
$BUCARDO1 = [
  'host_ip',
  'prüfsumme'
];
$BUCARDO1 = [
  '192.168.1.1',
  undef

Note the umlauted character is different...  It maybe correct encoding (hence when you cut/pasted the logs it showed the same character) but the log itself shows a different encoding...  For this reason I'd speculate the difference in encoding is wrong/different and the comparison and/or conversion back in Bucardo is therefore wrong.  This indeed would suggest a bug - whether it be Bucardo itself or the underlying perl modules.

At this point whilst I could probably fix it (or find the error location), I know it would take me a very long time to get to it, I will therefore suggest I bow out and leave this to Greg as he is without doubt the expert ;-)

Regards,

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/