[Bucardo-general] Suppress Serialization Warnings?

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Sun Sep 8 02:27:27 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 08:21:57PM -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> get these warnings, which understandably alarm our DBAs:

Alarm them from reading the Bucardo logs? Or in the Postgres logs?
We can't do much about the latter.

> if (!$g->{has_exception_code}) {
>    $self->glog("Warning! Aborting due to exception for $S.$T:$pkval Error was $err", LOG_WARN);
>    die "$err\n";
> }

> I don’t at all understand what has_exception_code is for

It means if you have no custom code designed to handle any exceptions
that crop up during the replication.

> but I’m wondering whether, on serialization or deadlock errors, this
> warning should be suppressed? After all, if I understand the code correctly,
> that call to `die` is caught by the exception handler which *does*
> notice serialization and deadlock errors and either retries them or emits
> an error. Do I have that right? If so, I am not clear that the warning
> is needed here at all. Is it?

Well, it's only providing some detail to the Bucardo logs, but I could see
a case for bumping the LOG_x level to something else if it is one of
the known cases we automatically handle.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com