[Bucardo-general] Peer authentication error preventing herd creation

David Christensen david at endpoint.com
Mon Jul 20 21:38:18 UTC 2015

Hi Alex,

‘Trust’ is obviously not a favorable authentication method to run in production; my recommendation would be ‘md5’/password authentication with the .pgpass information holding the actual passwords used.  ‘Peer’ authentication works only on local connections, not ones with hostname specified in the DSN; your example line here:

>    + sudo -u bucardo bucardo status
>    DBI connect('dbname=bucardo;host=localhost;port=5432','bucardo',...) failed: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "bucardo"
>    FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "bucardo" at /usr/bin/bucardo line 267.

Note the “host=localhost” segment and the error messageshows that in fact it is trying to use the password authentication associated with the localhost connection, not peer connection.  (IME, peer tends to be a PITA generally, but I also generally am working with systems with dedicated postgres user accounts.)

HTH,

David Christensen
PostgreSQL Team Manager
End Point Corporation