[Bucardo-general] Fwd: Syncing smaller batches

Ioana Danes ioanadanes at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 19:37:58 UTC 2015

Hi Greg,

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 9:36 AM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg at endpoint.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 03:43:07PM -0500, Ioana Danes wrote:
> > > I installed the master branch from git and the performance is really
> good.
> > I still have some issues where there is a query running and it looks like
> > it is stuck. If I stop the syncing loop process and cancel the backend
> then
> > it recovers but I need to run more tests and make sure I am doing the
> right
> > steps on failover.
>
> Stuck is not good. Can you report on what query is getting stuck?

Ok the query is not stuck it is just very slow. It could be networking
problem or client problem. The 2 servers are on the same msa though.

I can reproduce the problem quite easily if I stop the sync for few minutes
so I could collect around 400,000 records to be synced (~ 200,000 for each
of my 2 tables).

The query is :
SELECT  DISTINCT "testtableid"
FROM    bucardo.delta_abrazo_testtable d
                     WHERE   NOT EXISTS
(
                                SELECT
1
                                FROM   bucardo.track_abrazo_testtable t
                                WHERE  d.txntime = t.txntime
                                AND    (t.target = 'dbgroup
sync_all1'::text)

)

A regular sync operation at 780 clients takes 2-3 seconds
Then I start the sync script and the first few syncs are slower than normal
(< 75 secs) because they have a lot to sync but then the third or fourth
takes even longer ~ 270 seconds.

I did run the same query in a pgAdmin during this time and it was extremely
fast even if it returned 200,000 records.

> > Is there already a way to call the sync externally in a service or I have
> > to write my own script?
>
> The canonical way to kick a sync is through the bucardo script. Anyone
> can run it, as long as things are configured correctly. You can also
> trigger it by sending a special database NOTIFY command.
>
> I use the bucardo kick sync command in an infinite loop for now for
testing.

Thanks for your help,
Ioana