[Bucardo-general] ubuntu 14 /var/run/bucardo issue and startup batch

Rosser Schwarz rosser.schwarz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 00:00:30 UTC 2016

On Thursday, October 20, 2016, David Christensen <david at endpoint.com> wrote:

> > On Oct 20, 2016, at 5:27 PM, Rosser Schwarz <rosser.schwarz at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > It looks like the sample init-scripts don't test for the existence of
> $PIDDIR, which might be worth patching.

Assuming it's portable, a `mkdir -p` sounds great. (Or a `if [! -d
> $PIDDIR]; then mkdir $PIDDIR` or similar.)

That was pretty much my thought, too. It's also what everyone else appears
to do, given the limited time I spent investigating this afternoon.

(At least in terms of *nix-like OSen. Windows doesn't require a -p switch
to make nested directories, but I don't think bucardo.init would work
there, anyway, so that's probably moot.)

I have most of a fix for this ready to commit, and will try to push it
(assuming no objections) before EoB tomorrow.

Do the packagers just use the script in dist/ directly, or do we need to
> coordinate with others when there is a change?

That question is above my "pay grade", as it were.  I'd expect, though,
that they'd at least base any distro-specific init-scripts on the template
we provided, and would ignore those things either at their own peril, or
with a local fix, no?

rls