[Bucardo-general] Pushdelta sync with a PG snapshot / restore fails to work bucardo 5.4.1

Raghu Udiyar raghu at helpshift.com
Tue Feb 14 18:44:02 UTC 2017

Hello

I'm using bucardo version 5.4.1 to sync a table (~500G) from a source to
target PG 9.3. Since this is a lot of data to transfer using onetimecopy=2
and prone to failure due to network issues, I tried to do the pushdelta
sync. Steps were :

1. Install bucardo triggers by adding source DB only in a new sync.
Verified that delta table is being filled.
2. Take snapshot of the source DB, and restore on target DB.
3. Add target DB to the sync, and activate the sync
4. The logs show delta count, as well as the delete / insert totals, but
does not continue after that.
5. After a while I see the following in the logs :

New kid, sync "my_sync" alive=1 Parent=21253 PID=21255 kicked=1
Delta count for source_db.public.my_big_table : 1149458
Totals: deletes=11981 inserts=1149458 conflicts=0
Kid has died, error is: CTL request Line: 5001

On reactivating the sync, the Kid starts, but no deltas are copied. Bucardo
status shows "Begin txn (KID 4286)".

On the source DB I can see multiple delta_check query :

active |  SELECT * FROM bucardo.bucardo_delta_check($1,$2)
active |  SELECT * FROM bucardo.bucardo_delta_check($1,$2)
active |  SELECT * FROM bucardo.bucardo_delta_check($1,$2)

I've verified that all triggers are there, and the delta table keeps
filling, but nothing gets copied. I tried this couple of times, same
results. Any pointers on how to debug this? Are the steps correct?

Thanks,
-- Raghu