[Bucardo-general] Add, Update, tables and columns.

David Christensen david at endpoint.com
Tue Feb 21 19:00:39 UTC 2017

Expanding on this, Bucardo has traditionally considered DDL structure changes like this out of its purview.

In particular:

- DDL changes like this tend to be pretty infrequent relative to just regular replication/data events, so generally assume a static schema (i.e., you’re in production mode)

- You often want to control the impacts/timing of such events, such as locks, and having an external tool manage this leads to less control in the situation

- Bucardo doesn’t require identical structures on each side of replication, for instance you can push to a table which has additional fields in it

- You can manage modifying the nodes just using regular migration scripts, e.g.:

  bucardo stop; for db in master replica1 replica2; do psql -h $db -d database -f modifications.sql; done; bucardo start

HTH,

David