[Bucardo-general] how to backup and restore postgres9.6 running on bucardo cluster

arshi shaikh arshi.s at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 12:04:05 UTC 2018

Hi David,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Below is the scenario that we are trying.

As explained earlier we have 3 node Multimaster cluster and bucardo is
running on separate node.
We would like to take the backup from one of the nodes so that in event
when any of the node goes down we can do
recover from the backup.

Assume that backup is taken at 10:00AM from one of the cluster node and
bucardo node. Backup is taken using pg_basebackup utility of Postgres.
Consider node 3 goes down at 10:30AM and we want to recover it so that it
can join the existing cluster and be in sync with
other Master nodes.

We tried following steps to achieve this

1. Performed restore on node3 from the backup taken at 10:00AM.
2.  After restore was completed node3 was able to join the cluster. However
Transaction that happend between 10:00AM to 10:30AM
where missing from this node. Also bucardo did not recognizes that node3 is
not in sync.

We would like to know that if there are any additional steps need to
perform to bring node3 in sync. Also let us know if we are doing anything
wrong.

Any help or suggestion are appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Arshi Shaikh