[Bucardo-general] Usage Help: Postgresql at Amazon RDS to Amazon Redshift

David Christensen david at endpoint.com
Thu Mar 22 15:48:16 UTC 2018

Hi Vivek,

I see no reason that syncing to redshift should not work.  You would need a server to run the Bucardo daemon that could access both the PostgreSQL database and the Redshift database.  (Particularly if the Redshift database is just a target and we’re not looking at a multi-master situation, my confidence is higher.)  Is this a regular standalone PostgreSQL instance or are you using RDS?

There are definite limitations when it comes to using Bucardo (much like any tool) so it’s important to understand what its strengths are and where it might not be the best fit.  Bucardo works best when the database schema is fixed, when all tables involved have Primary Keys, and when the write load is not completely saturated.  (There is a write amplification effect due to the fact that Bucardo has to record each row that changes when you modify a row, so every write effectively becomes 2 writes.)

HTH, and feel free to contact us with any issues that may arise.

Best,

David Christensen
End Point Corporation
david at endpoint.com