[Bucardo-general] Bucardo purge all

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Thu Dec 3 02:49:42 UTC 2020

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020, Ružica Prljević wrote:

> We have Bucardo 5.5.0, and following set up:
> bucardo set vac_run=2
> bucardo set vac_sleep=8
>
> VAC daemon should trim bucardo delta and track tables every 2 minutes in
> this case from my understanding of Bucardo.
>
> Our client wants to know why we do not implement following cron job:
> */5 * * * * /usr/sbin/bucardo purge all -verbose >/dev/null 2>&1
>
> I have read through commands and documentation and cannot find any
> upside for using bucardo purge -all.
>
> Can you please tell me if this command does something that VAC daemon
> doesn't?

Rose,

They look about the same to me: they both call the PostgreSQL function
bucardo_purge_delta(text) so they do the same work.

The main difference is that vac_run calls it with argument '45 seconds',
so it only cleans up transactions older than 45 seconds ago, while `purge
all` calls it with argument '1 second', so it will purge almost all
transactions.

In my mind you are already doing it a good way by using the vac_run
facility.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen