[Bucardo-general] resolving exceptions by picking both rows

Ben Chobot bench at silentmedia.com
Thu Jan 28 22:49:06 UTC 2021

I'm attempting to write a custom conflict handler that resolves
exceptions by picking both rows and twiddling as needed, instead of
chucking one version of a PK, and I keep running into problems. It's no
longer clear to me if this is something bucardo can even support.

I have this table:

create table versions (
   id serial primary key,
   versionable_id int,
   versionable_type text,
   number int,
   yaml text,
   created_at timestamp
);
create unique index versions_versionable_id_versionable_type_number_idx
on versions (versionable_id, versionable_type, number);

When bucardo encounters an exception on that unique index, I would like
it to keep all rows, and just increment the number column in order of
created_at to keep that unique constraint happy. It's ok (for me, though
maybe not for bucardo) if the pk ids change.

What I've tried doing is building up a list of all
{versionable_id,verisionable_type} pairings of the rows involved in the
deltabin, then pulling all the rows involved in that pairing from both
dbs, regardless of if they are or aren't in the deltabin, deleting all
those rows from both dbs, and then re-inserting them into both dbs with
tweaked number fields (and different PKs), and finally telling bucardo
to retry the sync. This works perfectly on one db, but the other db ends
up with none of the rows. I'm at a loss as to what's going on.

Is this even a conflict resolution model bucardo can handle, where the
process of conflict resolution removes all the PKs bucardo is working on
and inserts new ones?