[Bucardo-general] Postgres 9.6.16 to 12.7 upgrade using Bucardo

Akheel Ahmed akheel.mailing.list at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 01:04:33 UTC 2021

Hi

I am looking to do a near-zero downtime(or minimal downtime upgrade)
from postgresql 9.6.16 to 12.7, and have installed and configured
bucardo and its database.
I am looking at high level steps and options to use to replicate an
entire DB (~2TB). Please advise if the below sequence is correct and
help with specifics.

1. Add source database to Bucardo and add all tables and sequences
2. Do a snapshot-Clone of the source DB and upgrade it to 12.7
4. Add the 12.7 DB to bucardo and add all tables and sequences
5. Start bucardo

Let me know if the above sequence is what you'd use to achieve this, and
there wont be any data lost during the time taken for snapshot-clone and
about an hour that is taken to do the upgrade(9 to 10, 10 to 11 and 11
to 12), and that

bucardo will figure out all the differences and apply them on the 12.7
target. Also let me know the options, parameters to use

Thanks in advance