[check_postgres] Problem with perl 5.8.0

Chris Butler chrisb at zedcore.com
Tue Sep 23 10:19:36 UTC 2008

Our monitoring server is running CentOS 3.9, which has perl version 5.8.0.
The latest version of check_postgres.pl fails to run on this version of
perl, with the following error:

    Bareword "STDERR" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at check_postgres.pl line 919.
    Execution of check_postgres.pl aborted due to compilation errors.

Line 919 is the following:

	open my $oldstderr, '>&', STDERR or ndie "Could not dupe STDERR\n";

To fix, I replaced that with:

	open my $oldstderr, '>&', \*STDERR or ndie "Could not dupe STDERR\n";

--
Chris Butler
Zedcore Systems Ltd