[check_postgres] [commit] Two cool new checks: new_version_cp and new_version_pg to check if you

Robert Treat xzilla at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 8 16:44:01 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 08 April 2009 04:12:54 Cédric Villemain wrote:
> Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :

> >> Very nice !
> >>
> >> I just wonder why use the docs/ instead of the ftp/source ? Perhaps to
> >> check for very o(l)dd version of postgresql ?
> >>
> >> url : http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/
> >> look for greatest <a href>: /ftp/source/v(8\.3.*)/
> >>
> >> It is then possible to issue a CRITICAL if the current server is not
> >> maintain anymore by PGDG (pg < 7.4).
> >
> > Using the RSS feed could be a better way:
> >
> >   http://www.postgresql.org/versions.rss

+1. The rss feed is the web teams "official" tool for this type of thing, so
that is really what we should be using.

> Per offline talk with Guillaume :
>
> The ftp is first updated then the feed. And the feed is used for the main
> page of the website (so ftp can be updated hours/day before the official
> announce, and we want to follow official announce, right?)

Yes, especially given that we (postgres packaging team) occasionally upload
packages into the ftp site that get revoked / pulled down before official
release announcement because of problems with the package/code. Sometimes
this results in a re-wrap and version bump, but not always, which means if
you are grabbing from the ftp site before the announcement goes out, you
might grab an invalid release; I don't think we want to encourage that.

BTW, yes, those last sentences are scary. Don't shoot the messenger.

> Some interesting point with the feed is the ability to catch the date of
> the lastest release. It can let us catch the delay since the release and
> make Warning and Critical adjustable :
>
> Critical if lastest release older than X days for example.

Hmm... this gives me an idea... possibly we (webteam) could modify the rss
feed to include whether a release includes security fixes, so that we
(check_postgres) could adjust nagios check based on that information.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net