[check_postgres] nagios output for database_size + patch validate_range + new function

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Wed Aug 12 10:23:47 UTC 2009

On 08/05/2009 10:04 AM, Cédric Villemain wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I keep on refactoring the nagios output trying to following nagios guidelines.
>
> Here is a patch that do :

This patch does not compile. For example, this line is not valid Perl:

$cuom=uc "$2b";

I see what you are trying to do with this, but it seems that it might be
cleaner to simply store the new information in global vars, rather than
returning new things from the validate_range function (which seem to not
be used).

> Please, I think it is important to report output change in the
> changelog/upgrade notes in case people parse it. It can be a regression for
> some.

Good point.

> And, as you can see I am in the process of format nagios output. Some work
> that can be considered too is using RANGE  like -- backends --warning "2:30"
> (warning if < 2 or > 30) and using warning, critical by element like for
> locks... (but for db_size, backends/db, and so on)

Yes, we should support that. I think it's a very unintuitive syntax and
may confuse people using check_postgres in a non-Nagios context, but
Nagios is out primary supported interface after all.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com