[check_postgres] installation problems

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Wed Jun 24 20:33:01 UTC 2009

> I'm trying to install check_postgresql for the first time and am having
> trouble.  I followed the complete installation instructions and the
> standard PG binaries are available, ex:
>
> lcarson at azrael ~/Workbench/check_postgres/check_postgres-2.9.1>which psql
> psql is /usr/local/apps/postgresql-8.1.4/bin/psql
> lcarson at azrael ~/Workbench/check_postgres/check_postgres-2.9.1>

(insert obligatory warning about using really old revisions of Postgres
here: 8.1 is at 8.1.17)

> postmaster cannot access the server configuration file
> "/users/u3/lcarson/Workbench/check_postgres/check_postgres-2.9.1/test_database_check_postgres/data
> space/postgresql.conf": No such file or directory

Does that directory exist? Are there any files in it?
Make sure you have an initdb executable in your path (or inside of
PGBINDIR). If the "data space" directory does not exist, or is empty,
that's most likely your problem.

If it does exist, try creating it manually yourself to see if you can
flush out the error. Running this should be enough:

initdb -D testdir

> Is there a better place to ask this question?

This is probably the best place, with the exception of the #postgresql
channel on irc.freenode.net, which may produce faster answers, but is
dependent on who is around on the channel.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com