[check_postgres] RFC: New Actions

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Mon Jan 17 21:05:41 UTC 2011

> Ah, yeah, good thinking. Since --warning and --critical are times,
> perhaps add --warning-count and --critical-count for the numbers? So

Maybe a better name, one that doesn't share the first letters with
existing names? Getopt::Long is going to barf on --warn and --crit
where it did not before.

> A native French speaker will need to review my
> Google-translate-powered translations, which I'm sure are just awful.

You can probably just leave those out, our French translators are
quite good about getting things quickly. The convention is to copy the
English strings to the French section but leave them with no whitespace
at the front.

> >> * Wal Log Timeout: Report if no new logs on a slave
> >> within the previous x [time units].
>
> We actually realized that this is easily done with the core
> Nagios file system tools. Duh.

Heh. Cool.

> One other thing we wanted to do was to refine the bloat check query.
> Right now it's an either/or situation, which can result in a lot of
> false positives. So what we'd like to be able to do is to specify
> *both* a minimum bloat size *and* a percentage. Thoughts?

Yeah, that should be doable: similar in spirit to the existing
vac threshhold checks inside Postgres (but without the way-too-long
names :)

I'm been working on the bloat check recently, so some future verision
will have a much better algorithm which will also reduce false
positives. /aside

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com