[check_postgres] New action: warm_standby

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Tue Jun 28 17:33:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 03:29:05PM +0200, david.barbion at adeoservices.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've created a small patch for check_postgres.pl that adds a new action:
> warm_standby.
> This action checks that the process pg_standby is running for the
> current cluster (depending on the PGPORT env var.).
> This patch needs the perl module Proc::ProcessTable available at CPAN.

Thanks! Quick thoughts:

Obviously we'll need a require not a 'use' for the module
(see for example, the way we handle Date::Parse). I'm not sure about
the name: we are really checking for a pg_standby process, so
the "warm_standby" check is indirect.

I'm wondering how this is better than the existing check that scans
pg_controldata? Also compare with the check_standby_mode() argument...

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com