[check_postgres] check_hot_standby_delay in 2.18.0

Henrik Christian Grove grove at one.com
Wed Nov 23 12:19:48 UTC 2011

Hi

With version 2.16.0 we did:
check_postgres --action=hot_standby_delay --dbname=bone
--dbuser=bone_admin --dbhost2=one-db2.local --dbname2=bone
--dbuser2=bone_admin --showtime=0 --warning=10000
and it worked nicely (although it felt silly having to specify the
dbname twice - I don't think measuring hot_standby_delay between
databases makes much sense).

With 2.18.0 it fails with:
Use of uninitialized value $slave in numeric eq (==) at ./check_postgres
line 4581.
POSTGRES_HOT_STANDBY_DELAY UNKNOWN: DB "bone" Invalid query returned:
receive <PIPE> \n replay  <PIPE> \n

Gregs release mail did say:
  Remove the dbname2, dbport2, etc. arguments.
but the online documentation at:
http://bucardo.org/check_postgres/check_postgres.pl.html#hot_standby_delay
says:
"You must provide information on how to reach the second database by a
connection parameter ending in the number 2, such as "--dbport2=5543".
If if it not given, the action fails."
So I initially though they were only removed for the same_schema action
as it was grouped with "Redo the same_schema action".

The check works if I do:
check_postgres --action=hot_standby_delay --dbhost=localhost
--dbname=bone --dbuser=bone_admin --dbhost=one-db2.local --showtime=0
--warning=10000
except that then connection is made through TCP rather than through the
UNIX socket. Is there any way to make the local connection through the
UNIX socket?

.Henrik

P.S. Does any one ever check the bug list? The only thing happening
seems to be that new bugs are coming in. No one had noted that bug 73 is
fixed in 2.18.0.
--
Read http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html and LEARN from it.