[check_postgres] Dealing with multiple databases

CSS css at morefoo.com
Sat May 30 18:17:32 UTC 2015

On May 30, 2015, at 5:34 AM, Christoph Berg <cb at df7cb.de> wrote:

> Re: CSS 2015-05-30 <B447F831-BC33-47F0-999A-C736A8026936 at morefoo.com>
>> Just a quick question for anyone left on the list. :)
>>
>> There are a huge number of nice maintenance-related checks in this package, like “check_last_vacuum” that are pretty handy.  What I’ve noticed, unless I’m missing something in the docs, is that there’s no simple way to just point these checks at a cluster and have the check run across all databases on that cluster.
>>
>> What I’m currently doing is out of maybe 150 databases, I setup nagios checks for the top 20.
>>
>> I’m hoping I’m just being dense and I’ve missed some flag that makes a check non-db-specific…
>
> Isn't this more a nagios/icinga/... question? I'd look into setting up
> templates including the checks you'd want and then apply these to
> databases.

From a monitoring standpoint, with many databases, and databases
being created/destroyed with some regularity, an all-databases
option would just be quite handy.  I might be being a bit dense
here, but Im not seeing how templates could really help in this
situation.  The closest I can come is perhaps some perl script to
connect to the db, get a list of dbs, generate a config for nagios
and then commit that change to our cfengine repo, but thats a bit
much.  Id almost rather try hacking check_postgres.pl before doing
that.

And on that note, is anyone maintaining this project anymore?  I see
some pull requests hanging around with no sign of review.

Charles